Symantec Products AutoFix Support Tool ActiveX Control Two Vulnerabilities
Software:Norton 360Symantec Norton AntiVirus 2006Symantec Norton AntiVirus 2007Symantec Norton AntiVirus 2008Symantec Norton Internet Security 2006Symantec Norton Internet Security 2007Symantec Norton Internet Security 2008Symantec Norton SystemWorks 2006Symantec Norton SystemWorks 2007Symantec Norton SystemWorks 2008
Want to know the next time vulnerabilities are fixed in this product? - Companies can be alerted via email and SMS!
vulnerabilities have been reported in various Symantec products, which
can be exploited by malicious people to compromise a user"s system.
1) A boundary error within an ActiveX control (SYMADATA.DLL) included
in the AutoFix Support Tool can be exploited to cause a stack-based
2) A design error in the same ActiveX control can be exploited to e.g. load and execute arbitrary code from a remote share.
Successful exploitation of the vulnerabilities allows execution of
arbitrary code, but requires that the attacker e.g. conducts DNS
poisoning or cross-site scripting attacks as the ActiveX control is
site-locked and can only be scripted from a trusted domain.
The vulnerabilities affect the following products:
* Norton 360 1.0
* Norton AntiVirus 2006-2008
* Norton Internet Security2006-2008
* Norton System Works 2006-2008Do you have this product installed on your home computer? Scan using the free Personal Software Inspector. Check if a vulnerable version is installed on computers in your corporate network, scan using the Network Software Inspector.Solution:Apply updates.
https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/install.jspProvided and/or discovered by:The vendor credits Peter Vreugdenhill and an anonymous person, both reported via iDefense Labs.Original Advisory:SYM08-009: